Microbiology is one of the fascinating and dynamic sciences. It is constantly being evolved and more information is being added in continuation with the existing literature including all the microbiological techniques being rapidly modified and refined. Microbiologists and other scientists employ the scientific method to understand natural phenomena. It provides a blend of traditional and contemporary knowledge of microbiological science to meet the pedagogical needs of all students pursuing masters’ in Microbiology. The Master degree course covers the studies of microorganisms, their effect on human, environment, society etc., the applied aspects and branches of microbiology. The course is career oriented and precisely towards entrepreneurship after successful completion of the course.
- To provide basic insight on the diversity this intersects with many other disciplines of Life Sciences.
- To facilitate basic research approach in Microbiology that leads to the better understanding of molecular techniques that are used to study and comprehend complex forms from microbes to humans including diagnostic areas like Biotechnology, Synthetic biology, production of therapeutic proteins etc.,
- To enable the stakeholders to explore the intricacies of life forms, cellular, molecular and at the Nano level.
- To accelerate the creative power and capability in Microbiology that promotes to apply the advanced principles for managing the accurate diagnostic study.
- To promote the stakeholders to design their careers in various branches of Microbiology viz., Food, Diary, Agricultural, Industrial, Environmental sectors in academia, research and development, corporate including entrepreneur set-ups.
- With the course structure and type of experience and skills the students will benefit profoundly in gaining exposure to the latest trends and concepts that equip them with facility of building a successful career
- Microbiologists work for a wide range of employers, including hospitals, universities, industries including pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, food and drinks, consumer goods and water supply, corporate fields, Agri-Chemical Companies, Environmental Consultancy, etc.,
- Competent with the knowledge obtained with critical and updated version in different fields of microbiology enables one to find impetus avenues in different branches of science.
When the discipline of Microbiology is strong and intellectually vibrant, there exists better avenues in different fields as research officer, food and hygiene quality controller, medical coding trainers, etc.,
Course curriculum is as below :
- Paper1: Virology & Parasitology
- Paper2: Bacteriology
- Paper3: Mycology
- Paper4: Phycology
- Elective1: Statistical Methods for Biology
- Practical: IA & IB
- Paper5: Microbial Enzymology
- Paper6: Microbial Physiology, Genetics and Genomics
- Paper7: Food and Dairy Microbiology
- Paper8: Soil, Agriculture and Environmental Microbiology
- Elective2a:Bioinformatics or
- Elective2b: Biofertilizer and Bio manure Technology or
- Elective2c: Microbial Nanotechnology
- Practical: IIA & IIB
- SUMMER PROJECT: 2 months (2 Credits)
- Paper9: Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- Paper10: Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering
- Paper11: Industrial Microbiology and Fermentation Technology
- Paper12: Microbial Bioremediation and Technology
- Elective3a: Disease Diagnostic Technology or
- Elective3b: Industrial training and Entrepreneurship or
- Elective3c: Intellectual Property Rights, Biosafety and Bioethics
- Practical: IIIA & IIIB
- Summer Project conducted during second semester
- Project Work / Dissertation
Students can carry out the project work for a period of 6 months at any recognized institutes pertaining to their area of interest and the internal faculty being the principal mentor and the institute supervisor being the co-mentor.